Wednesday, October 19, 2011

The Education Value of Creative Disobedience

This was a very interesting read for me, it inspired a lot of questions for me. I completely agree that if kids discover things on their own and are encouraged to discover and all that jazz, they will most definitely be better developed and we will see a change in education but I fear that in our culture it is virtually impossible for every kid. Let me explain myself. There are a few vital problems in that theory that we are forgetting, kids are first with their parents and that is where they learn a lot of their habits. It is a sad but true fact, if every kid had this writers parents who encouraged her to ask questions and learn from a very young age, then there would not be a problem, but A LOT of kids don't. A lot of kids have parents who either have no idea how to raise a child or they just don't care. When I was volunteering with a kindergarten class I saw some kids who clearly were encouraged by their parents or older siblings or someone and I saw some that were clearly ignored. You could always tell because when we tried to let them loose and figure out things, some would catch on and start trying to figure things out and the others would sit there or just follow another kid copying whatever he or she would do. I think where they have it completely right is when they say that the problem is kids are afraid to be wrong. But I am not sure if that can be changed solely by a child's education, the problem is often in their upbringing and I am not sure what we can do about that. But I think all of this is why I want to be a teacher, even though it seems hopeless, I know what a good teacher can mean and I hope that I can be that for the kids I come in contact with and do my best to help who I can.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren - this is an awesome point. A good amount of education depends on the family part of the process. And sometimes it can be quite a barrier to overcome.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete